Vegetable flatbread with hummus
We have wanderlust and we satisfy it with a culinary recipe from the Middle East: vegetable flatbread. We didn’t choose classic hummus, but rather one made from beets and nuts. The flatbreads are topped with plenty of vegetables so that we are supplied with enough vitamins.
Hummus is an oriental specialty. Known throughout the Middle East and widespread as a national dish, the creamy starter is traditionally made from pureed chickpeas, sesame puree, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. The red beets provide a great play of colors at the dining table. They are also very healthy: the delicious beets are rich in minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and iron as well as the B group vitamins, vitamin C and folic acid. Well, then the vegetable flatbread tastes even better!
The selected products from Gourmet shop from FASS Make the vegan dish really enjoyable! vomFass offers so much in terms of cuisine: with the large selection of spices, refined vinegars and oils, we can always come up with exciting recipe creations. But the fine liqueurs and other (non-alcoholic) drinks also make for exciting drink creations. This is our little star today vomFASS Gourmet Beetroot Ketchup, because this makes the hummus incomparably delicious and enhances the vegetable flatbread!
For the flatbreads.
- 500 g wheat flour (Type 550)
- ½ cube of yeast/1 pack of dry yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 350 ml water
- 1 dash of olive oil
- Oil for the bowl
- Flour for the work surface
For the hummus.
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Zest half an organic lemon
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g beetroot (pre-cooked & peeled)
- 100 g nuts (salted)
- 2 tbsp vomFASS Gourmet beetroot ketchup
For the topping
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 broccoli
- 2 tbsp of FASS curry oil
- 2 tbsp of FASS Wild Mango Balsam Star
- some of the FASS Tropical Berbeccue Dip
- For the flatbread: Mix flour with dry yeast and salt. Add the water and a dash of olive oil and knead into a smooth dough. Let rise in a warm place or alternatively in the oven at 40 °C hot air for around an hour. Roll out the yeast dough into four flat cakes on a floured work surface and bake the flat cakes in a preheated oven at 200 °C for around 15 minutes.
- For the hummus: Drain the chickpeas. Peel the garlic cloves and chop roughly. Wash the lemon in hot water. Grate the zest of half an organic lemon and squeeze out the juice from the lemon. Puree all ingredients in a blender or with a hand blender to create a creamy hummus.
- Clean the zucchini and broccoli and cut them into slices or pieces. Heat the curry oil in a pan and briefly fry the vegetables. Deglaze with the balm.
- Spread the flatbreads with hummus, top with the vegetables and serve with the barbecue seasoning.
Catrin Ferrari-Brunnenfeld is a native of Lungau and better known as cookingCatrin. On their culinary portal and in their magazines, Catrin, her husband Carletto and their team take their readers on culinary journeys of discovery at home and abroad. It’s all about recipes, mainly from Austrian and Mediterranean cuisine. “I love interpreting traditional recipes in a contemporary way and thus bridging the gap between tradition and modernity!” As publisher of her own print magazine Köstel and operator of the cooking studio “Die Kuchl Klagenfurt”, she also coaches companies, is the author of several of her own cookbooks, and is a… Testimonial and brand ambassador, promotes high-quality food and is a social media professional.
You can find more recipes on cookingcatrin.at