“Artificial general intelligence (AGI) refers to the ability of a machine to understand, learn and apply knowledge in a wide variety of tasks similarly to like a human being would. In other words, AGI implies the ability of artificial intelligence to perform any cognitive task that a human being can do.” This is the definition of IAG that OpenAI’s ChatGPT provides.
This technology “aims to replicate the breadth and depth of human intelligenceaddressing not only specific tasks, but also understanding, reasoning, problem solving and the ability to learn in general,” the chatbot added.
The IAG is a type of automatic system that could perform successfully any intellectual task that human beings perform: they would be able to communicate in natural language, plan, learn, make judgments and reason in situations of uncertainty.
Getting closer to human intelligence
OpenAI has assured that this is a system that they have been improved during the last two yearsand could exceed human capacity when carrying out most economically valuable work.
Until now, most advances in artificial intelligence have focused on specialized applications and specific problem approaches. But the IAG goes further. It involves not only the improvement of algorithms and models, but also the deep understanding of human cognition and the ability to translate those principles into advanced computing systems.
But there are still tasks that are inherently humansuch as creativity and empathy, where human beings continue to have a significant advantage. At the moment there are challenging areas for artificial intelligence.
A study carried out by OpenAI collects 32 jobs that will not be affected by artificial intelligence systems:
- Agricultural machinery operators
- Athletes and sports competitors
- Auto glass installers and repairers
- Bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists
- Cement masons and concrete finishers
- fast food cooks
- Hairdressers and hairdressers
- Drilling rig operators, oil and gas
- Dining room and cafeteria assistants and busboys
- Dredger operators (machines that dredge water in rivers or seas)
- Power line installers and repairers
- Excavation machine operators
- Flooring installers, except carpet, wood and hard tiles
- Manufacturers of molds or metal castings
- Assistants for bricklayers, stonemasons and tile and marble layers
- Carpenters assistants
- Assistants to painters, plasterers and stuccoers
- Plumbers’ helpers, plumbers, pipe fitters and steamers
- Roofers Helpers
- Meat, poultry and fish cutters and trimmers
- motorcycle mechanics
- Paving, Lining and Tamping Equipment Operators
- pile driver operators
- Metal pourers and turners
- Railway laying and maintenance equipment operators
- Repairers of refractory materials, except bricklayers
- meat packers
- Tire repairers and changers
- Well pumpers.
The common denominator of all of them is that their base is in the physical effort.