The US military shot down another flying object on Sunday – the third time in three days.
Pentagon spokesman Patrick Ryder said on Sunday that an F-16 fighter jet, at the behest of President Joe Biden, shot down the object over Lake Huron on the US-Canada border at 2:42 p.m. local time. It is not classified as a “military threat” but as a security risk to civil aviation and because of its potential surveillance capabilities.
The object is believed to be the same object that was recently discovered near sensitive military installations in Montana, causing the closure of US airspace. It was seen to have an octagonal structure, with the ropes hanging down, but carrying no apparent load, a US official said. The object was moving at an altitude of about six kilometers. This was the fourth plane to be shot down over North America in just over a week.
US Air Force General Glen VanHerck said it was unclear how the three youngest objects stayed in the air or where they came from. “We don’t call them objects for nothing, we don’t call them balloons.” When asked if he had ruled out aliens, VanHerck said he hadn’t ruled out anything yet. “I’ll leave it up to the intelligence community and counterintelligence to figure that out.” A Defense Department official said the military, on condition of anonymity, had no evidence that the objects came from extraterrestrials. The U.S. President’s Office said the recently dropped objects “do not look very much like” a Chinese balloon.
Republican Congressman Jack Bergman from Michigan, where the lake is partially covered, wrote on Twitter that he was in contact with the Department of Defense about operations in the area. “I applaud the determined actions of our fighter pilots,” he wrote, but also warned: “The American people deserve much more answers than we do.”
Similarly, Democratic Congressman Elissa Slotkin, also from Michigan. He thanked everyone involved and added: “We are all interested in what exactly this object is and what purpose it serves.” According to him, pilots from the US Air Force and National Guard participated in the operation.
Mysterious flying objects over North America: the world has been confusing for days
Mysterious flying objects over North America have baffled the United States and the world for days. US warplanes had already shot down two unidentified flying objects on Friday and Saturday: one off the US state of Alaska and the other over northern Canada. So far it is unclear what kind of objects they are, where they come from, and what their purpose is. Recovering the remains of flying objects should provide information. “Rescuers are trying to find the object on the ground,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said. The safety of citizens is the top priority. Therefore, the object was dropped. It was a threat to civilian aircraft.
Events reminiscent of a spy balloon
The events were reminiscent of a Chinese balloon, suspected of being used for espionage, that the US Air Force had lowered from the sky off the state of South Carolina a week ago. The incident had diplomatic consequences: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken canceled his trip to China just hours before his departure.
The US government accuses China of using the observation balloon to spy on military facilities. Beijing, on the other hand, spoke of a civilian research balloon deviating from its course and described the launch as an “overreaction”. The incident caused further strain in the already strained relationship between the two countries – also because the US accuses China of running a massive international surveillance program with such balloons that they target more than 40 countries on five continents.
According to official information, objects flying over Alaska and Canada were sailing at an altitude of about twelve kilometers. Both are said to be unmanned and have a “cylindrical shape.” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer told the ABC on Sunday, referring to the National Security Council, that the two objects dropped on Friday and Saturday are believed to be balloons “but much smaller than the first” from China.
The lack of reliable information about the origin and background of the flying objects leaves room for all sorts of speculation.Democratic lawmaker Jim Himes told NBC on Sunday that social media has been wildly speculating about an alien invasion or other actions by the Chinese. This didn’t help. Himes also demanded that more information be urgently needed.